Fundamentals of Technical Analysis - TA
CPE Credits Awarded: 16
Take the mystery out of common technical indicators! You will learn what's behind this analysis technique and how you can make it work for you every time you trade. Understanding and using technical analysis is important to hedgers as well as speculators.
We'll show you all of the many common indicators. Delegates will learn what they are and how the experts use them. We’ve included a trading simulation where you will actually be making trading decisions based on technical indicators.
Includes Web-based Pre-study Module
This course is accompanied by a preparatory course available online. Delegates will receive a web voucher as part of their joining instructions upon confirmation of registration. By taking advantage of this "blended" learning approach, in-class time and learning are optimized.
Do you have a question or enquiry regarding this course?
Please contact your local sales team:
This two-day workshop is perfect for those who want to further their futures trading skills or better understand the methods of major market players. Understanding and using technical analysis is important not only to speculators but hedgers as well. Delegates include everyone from trade staff support, quantitative analysts, programmers, marketing/sales, and traders to senior management. This programme deals with many different energy commodities.
- The real definition of technical analysis
- Technical analysis vs. fundamental analysis
- Using technical analysis for trading discipline, quantifying and managing risk, and coordinating with fundamental analysis
- The formula for trading success: combining technical analysis with good money management and risk management discipline
- Chart-based technical analysis:
- Types of charting: bar charts, line charts, Market Profile, candlesticks, point and figure
- Trend lines
- How to draw trend lines
- Valid vs. non-valid trendlines
- Support and resistance
- Price channels
- Retracements, including Fibonacci retracements
- How to analyze and use volume and open interest
- Reversal patterns including hook reversals and key reversals
- Candlestick reversal patterns
- Chart patterns including gaps, double tops and bottoms, head and shoulder reversals
- Additional patterns including flags and triangles
- The characteristics of the Elliot Wave Theory
- Mathematical technical analysis
- Objective technical analysis vs. subjective chart-based analysis
- The characteristics of trend-following indicators
- Calculating and using multiple types of moving average
- Using moving averages to develop a rules-based objective trading system
- Using MACD and Directional Movement
- Counter-trend indicators including Moving Average Oscillators, MACD Oscillator, Stochastics, RSI, and Bollinger Bands
- How to combine indicators and approaches
- Hedging with technical analysis
- Speculating with technical analysis
- Mechanical trading system development: trend following, counter trend, avoiding the pitfalls of data mining and curve fitting, and combining non correlated trading systems
- A multi-round trading simulation reinforcing the application of the techniques and indicators introduced throughout the course.
“Very well explained. The hands on component was excellent.” B.W., Greyhawke Resources
If you have attended a past course please provide us with some feedback.